Saturday, March 2, 2013

Who would you like to chat with?

I wonder what it would be like to chat with my dad. I'm not sure I will ever know. He's 84 and I'm 58. Why can't I chat with my dad? Is it me? Or him? Or us?

I'm not sure what I would chat about. Dad's a bit of an egghead, not that his intelligence isn't appreciated. I'm kind of an egghead, too. But do eggheads chat? Is chatting logical? Does it serve a purpose? Is it a reasonable use of time and energy?

Would a scholarly discussion about chatting count as a chat? Could we chat about chatting?

I looked up chat: “to talk in a friendly and informal way.”
I looked up the etymology: “late Middle English;  short for chatter”
I looked up chatter: “to talk rapidly in a foolish or purposeless way; jabber”

This isn't looking good.

Maybe I don't want to chat with my dad...

- James Seamarsh, just chatting

No comments:

Post a Comment

hypothes.is JS annotation code