Thursday, June 12, 2014

Summer - Northern Latitudes

As the earth’s north pole tilts towards the sun on its annual seasonal swing, I love being north. June 21st is fast approaching. “The days are getting longer,” as my mother would chime every morning of the new year, though by June 1st, her voice already carried the wistful regret of June 22nd.

I grew up in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, where long days meant going to bed before the sun and waking long before parents. I would go out into the wild sassafras forests, trees with root-beer smelling feet and large, three-fingered hands, lowering their vines to invite me to give my best Tarzan cry. Deep in the forest hid the old log cabin, rotting, where I would scratch for arrowheads while keeping an eye out for Indians. Called home by the Ivanhoe cry of my father at the doorway, I would quickly eat to go out again. And if it was Friday or Saturday night, I would wait for dusk to chase and bottle lightning bugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hypothes.is JS annotation code